Should Christians veiw the Bible as a science textbook?
No, the Bible is not a science textbook. A science textbook is designed to teach scientific facts and present old and new scientific theories in an appropriate manner. Science is a process of hypothesis, testing, and establishing theory as fact, when proven true. The Bible, on the other hand, is God’s revealed word to mankind. It is not a book of scientific discovery, but a book of history that connects to every part of life.
However, the Bible does reveal scientific truths. Some of these truths are…
· Genesis 1:9, “let the dry land appear: and it was so.” Through God’s spoken word the dirt, rocks, and elements were brought into being.
· Genesis 7:11, “the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened.” Great pockets of water held under the surface of the earth’s crust. When God released these pockets they burst open lifting sediment and water. In his book “The Genesis Record” Dr. Henry Morris writes, “Presumably, then, the ocean basins were fractured and uplifted sufficiently to pour waters over the continents.” Undoubtedly, many, if not all of today’s geological features, were impacted flood.
· Genesis 1:26, “Then God said, ‘Let us make man in our image…’” Anthropology is the study of mankind. Evolution teaches us that man evolved from apes, but the Bible teaches that not only was man created by God, but also in the image of God.
· Genesis 11:7-8, “Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, so that they will not understand one another’s speech.” So the LORD scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.” Why do we have different skin colors, different languages, different cultures, etc., we have these because God confused the tongue of mankind at the tower of Babel. From this one event, mankind was forced to separate and move throughout the world.
· Genesis 1:11, “Then God said, ‘Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years;’” Genesis tells us that from God’s spoken word, all of the stars, constellations, planets, sun, and moon were all created there by Him.
Additionally, the Bible intersects with the sciences of biology and chemistry.
The Bible is a book that contains the history of mankind. It also brings science to life. It speaks with authority in all matters of life, because it is God’s revealed truth about life, the world, and Himself.